July 20th, 2012 – According to the Affordable Care Act, for plans effective on or after August 1, 2012, non-grandfathered group and individual health insurance plans are required to cover women’s preventive services without cost sharing.
Services for women include:
• Well-woman visits
• Screening for gestational diabetes
• Testing for human papillomavirus (HPV)
• Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
• Screening and counseling for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
• FDA-approved contraception methods and contraceptive counseling
• Breastfeeding support, supplies and counseling
• Screening and counseling for interpersonal and domestic violence
For more information, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado has put together a nice fact sheet. It is expected that these new benefits will be reflected in rates for new plans and for renewing non-grandfathered plans.