February 1st, 2016 – Yesterday was the last day of Open Enrollment and open enrollment will not re-open again until November 1st for plans with a January 1st, 2017 start date. However, several exceptions may apply that could allow enrollment outside of the Open Enrollment Period.
Unique to Colorado, a Special Enrollment Period through February 29 is available to people who lost 2015 coverage from Colorado HealthOP or Access Health Colorado, as well as those who were with Rocky Mountain Health Plans, but are no longer in the company’s redrawn service area.
Additionally, Coloradans with income that qualifies them for Medicaid may apply for coverage all 12 months of the year.
Coloradans with certain life situation changes may become eligible for a Special Enrollment Period. A Special Enrollment Period is a time outside of open enrollment in which you can get coverage due to a Qualifying Event.
Common Qualifying Events that may trigger a Special Enrollment Period include moving from out of state to Colorado, having a change in family status, losing employer sponsored group coverage or any of the items below:
- Getting married
- Having a baby and adopting or placement of a child
- Permanently moving from out of state to Colorado
- Permanently moving to a new geographic area that offers different health plan options
- Losing other health coverage through a job, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
- Losing other health coverage through expiration of COBRA health insurance coverage, or a health insurance plan being decertified
- For people already enrolled in coverage through Connect for Health Colorado, having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reduction
- Newly gained American citizenship or immigration status
You must enroll no more than 60 days before or after the Qualifying Event to be eligible, so the timing is critical.
To schedule a free review of the 2016 health insurance plans & rates, please call (303) 456-7967 Ext 1 to schedule a free review or request a review online. Our licensed agents will personally review plans from Colorado’s top rated health insurance carriers like Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Colorado Choice, Humana, Kaiser, Rocky Mountain Health Plans, United Healthcare and more. We’ll work to help you find the right plan at the guaranteed best price.